Hi guys ! In this article, I explain step-by-step, with pictures, how to create, manage and deploy virtual machine template.
This article was write in 3 steps :
- Create your template
- Create a custom specs (answer file)
- Deploy your template
Are you ready ? Let’s go !
How to create, manage and deploy virtual machine template ?
Create a template
To create a template, no more easy ! You create a virtual machine and you custom it as you want. After you have finished, right click on it!
Here, you have two choices :
- Clone to Template, with this option you have your original virtual machine + your template
- Convert to Template, with this option your virtual machine must be convert directly to a template.
- In this exemple, I’ve select “Convert to template”. Select “Yes” to convert your template
- Your Template was create !
Now, you can clone your Template into Library if you want !
Create a custom specs
What are custom specs ?
Customization Specifications is a file that will attach to your Template to personalize it when you start your deployment ! This option is available on your home screen in your vSphere Web Client !
- Click on (+) to create a new Guest Custom Spec
- Select your operating system and add a description if you want. You can also attach a sysprep answer file if you want !
- Add the name of your Organization
- Select how to name your VM
- Add a windows license key to activate your virtual machine automatically
- Add an administrator local password
- Select the time zone
- If you want to run a command line to the first start…
- Here you can choose the network to add at your VM
- Select the domain and user/password that allow to add a new computer in a domain
- /!\ VERY IMPORTANT /!\ This checkbox will be generate a new ID in your VM. if you don’t select this box, all virtual machine will have the same ID and when you use in a domain, you cannot have multiple VM with the same ID.
- A little summary of your custom specs file !
Deploy virtual machine template
Now we have a template and custom specs, we can deploy our VM !
- Go to your template, right click on it and select “New VM from This Template“
- Enter the name of your future VM and choose where you want to place it.
- Choose the cluster to deploy your VM
- Select the storage, same as a new virtual machine
- Select the first box, to add a custom spec that we have create in the previous step
- If you want to customize hardware, check the second box
- Here we can see the custom specs that we have create! Select it if you want to use it, otherwise, you can create another one.
- Modify the virtual hardware if you have check box previously
- Summary of your deployment !
Start your VM
Now you can start the VM ! It’s possible it will be restart several times !
Your virtual machine is now deployed ! Enjoy ! 🙂