A quick post to troubleshoot an error that I’ve encountered with my backups.
During last week-end, all my backups was Failed! with an error message :
Task failed Error: Cannot complete login due to an incorrect user name or password.
This error may occur because your user account has expired.
In my case, I used a local account on my vCenter. The default local password policy in vCenter is :
So, you do reset the password of the local account or edit the default policy!
In my case I’ve reset the local account password. You can reset the password by GUI or via command line!
Reset account with GUI
Connect you to vSphere Web Client. Go to
- Go to Administration > Single Sign-On > Users and Groups and in the right of the screen, right click on your user and choose “Edit User“
- Enter the current password and the new password and click OK !
If you want to change the password policy, go to Administration > Single Sign-On > Configuration
Reset account with command line
vCenter Single Sign-On administrator users can change expired passwords for System-Domain users. Request that an administrator resets your password.
If you are a vCenter Single Sign-On administrator user, use the ssopass command-line tool to reset the password.
From the vCenter Server Appliance (VCSA):
- Log in to the vCenter Server Appliance as root.
Note: The default password is vmware.
- Navigate to this directory
- Run this command
./ssopass -d https://FQDN_of_SSO_server:7444/lookupservice/sdk username
- Type the current password for the user, even if it is expired.
- Type the new password, and then type it again to confirm.
If you have a vCenter on Windows host, go to VMware KB for more information.