In this article I’ll speak about “How to install VMware ESXi 6.0 Update 3” !
For this “How to” I’ve install an ESXi on Dell Blade server with iDRAC.
How to install VMware ESXi 6.0 Update 3 ?
In the first step, you must download the latest update of VMware ESXi (the last release at this date is 6.0 U3)
Next step is to plug the ISO on a virtual CD/DVD on your server (if you install it with a remote console) and boot on it.
- The installation wizard appear ! Select (Enter) to continue…
- Press F11 to accept license agreement and continue
- The installation wizard has scanning the local ressources where the OS could be install. Select where you want to install it and press (Enter) to continue
- If you have another one installation on your ESX, you could be choose “Upgrade”. In this “how to” we want to install from scratch, so we choose “Install”
- Select your keyboard layout before add a root password
- Add your root password !
- And confirm that you’re agreed to install !
- Unplug the virtual CD/DVD, and press (Enter) to reboot your server !
The first step is finished ! Now you must be make a little configuration to begin use your ESXi !
How to configure your ESXi ?
- This is the DCUI inteface of your ESXi ! To enter in the configuration mode press F2
- Enter your root password that you have been set during the installation
- Here, this is the home screen of the server configuration. We have already set a password, so, you can pass directly to “Configure Management Network”
- In this step, we can choose the interfaces that will be used to “Management Network”. If you want a fault tolerance, you can choose two interfaces.
- Next step is to set/tag your VLAN, it’s optinal, you can or not add it !
- Set the IP adress / netmask and gateway
- This is the same with IPv6, but in my case, i’ve disabled it !
- Set your DNS configuration !
- And the DNS suffixes
- Press “Escape” to exit the configuration wizard and reboot the host (because disabled IPv6)
Your server is now installed ! you can connect on it with vSphere Client or vSphere Web Client via this url : https://hostname.domain.tld/vsphere-client/?locale=en_US&csp
Thank’s for reading ! See you soon 🙂
Hi ! I’m Maxime. Founder and independant author of vDays.net. I have worked in service IT since 3 years ago, after a 5 years’ internship. Via this blog, I would like share and discuss with you on new technologies, especially on virtualization and VMware.