Hey guys ! In this post i’ll explain to you how to deploy and install SexiLog !
What is SexiLog ?
“New free tool called Sexilog has been launched by two fellow bloggers Raphael Schitz (@hypervisor_fr ) and Frederic Martin (@vmdude_fr). It provides many built-in dashboards to get real-time logs from your ESXi hosts, vCenter, but also other products which can use Syslog, SNMP traps or Windows event logs. Sexilog is a Free Tool Optimized for VMware vSphere Environment.” vladan.fr
Sexilog have more than 20 dashboards and you can create another according to your needs.
How to install SexiLog ?
In a previous post we had see how to deploy an OVF/OVA. SexiLog can be download and deploy directly with an OVA.
After deployment, you can start the VM and logon you root/Sex!Log (Warning : US Keyboard)
You arrive on the configuration page of SexiLog :
- If you are French you can change the keyboard : Press 6
- The second step, if you want to use static IP : Press 5
- The third step is to configure e-mail settings : Press 7
At this moment SexiLog is install & configure ! You can open your browser and go to http://your_sexilog_server
Now you do configure yours ESXi to add this new log server.
First one, with vSphere Web Client
- Select your Server
- Go to “Manage“
- Select “Settings” tab
- Go to “Advanced System Setting“
- Search “Syslog.global.logHost” and add your sexilog server with the port
Second one, with PowerCLI
- First one, connect to your vCenter or your ESXi
Connect-VIServer YOURSERVER / YOURVCENTER
- If you have a single host, you can execute this command :
Get-AdvancedSetting -Name "Syslog.Global.Loghost" -VMhost <strong>YOURHOST</strong> | Set-AdvancedSetting -Value "udp://<strong>sexilogserver</strong>:514"
- If you have multiple hosts in a cluster, you can execute this command :
Get-AdvancedSetting -Name "Syslog.Global.Loghost" -Entity (Get-Cluster <strong>YOURCLUSTER</strong> | Get-VMHost) | Set-AdvancedSetting -Value "udp://<strong>sexilogserver</strong>:514"
- In your vSphere Client you can see the tasks
Your “syslog” server is now up & running !
Hi ! I’m Maxime. Founder and independant author of vDays.net. I have worked in service IT since 6 years ago, after a 5 years’ internship. Via this blog, I would like share and discuss with you on new technologies, especially on virtualization and VMware. If you want to know more about me, check out my “about me” page or follow me on Twitter and LinkedIn